- Cabbage grated1 medium
- Carrot grated 1 medium
- French beans finely chopped8-10
- Spring onions with greens finely chopped3 medium
- Green capsicum finely chopped1 medium
- Salt to taste
- Refined flour (maida) 1/4 cup
- Cornflour/ corn starch 1/4 cup
- Oil to deep fry
- Oil 2 tablespoons
- Ginger finely chopped4-6 cloves
- Celery finely chopped2 inch stick
- Green chillies finely chopped3
- Soy sauce 2 tablespoons
- Sugar 1 teaspoon
- MSG 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable stock 2 1/2 cups
- Cornflour/ corn starch 3 tablespoon
- Vinegar 1 tablespoon
Mix three tablespoons of cornflour in one cup of water. Reserve spring onion greens for garnish. Mix cabbage, carrot and French beans in a bowl and thoroughly rub in one teaspoon of salt.
Add spring onion, capsicum, refined flour and one-fourth cup of cornflour. Mix thoroughly. Shape into lemon sized balls.
Heat sufficient oil in a wok and deep-fry vegetable balls in small batches for three to four minutes on medium heat or until golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper.
Heat two tablespoons of oil in a wok or a pan and stir fry the ginger and garlic half a minute. Add the celery, green chillies and stir-fry for half a minute more.
Add soy sauce, sugar, MSG and salt. Stir in vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Stir in cornflour mixture and cook for a couple of minutes or until the sauce starts to thicken, stirring continuously.
Add the fried vegetable balls, vinegar and mix well. Serve hot and garnish it with onion.
If you want to serve it dry without the sauce, reduce the stock to one cup and cornflour in the sauce to one and a half tablespoons only.