Carrot halwa or gajar ka halwa is one of the post popular Indian dessert. I have prepared it in an easier method using the pressure cooker without khoya. Even beginners can try this fool proof recipe with confidence. Today we will learn how to make carrot halwa-gajar halwa following this easy recipe with step wise pictures.
Grated carrots -2 cups
Milk -3/4 cup
Sugar -1/4 cup
Ghee – 2 1/2- 3 tbsp
Cashew nuts -10
Raisins -2 tbsp
Cardamom Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Wash, peel the skin and grate carrots finely. (use the small hole for grating)
- Heat 1 1/2 tbsp of ghee and fry the raisins on low heat until they puff up. Remove and keep it aside. In the same pan, fry cashew nuts until golden brown.Remove from pan.
- If required, add another tsp of ghee and fry the grated carrots on low flame stirring continuously for 3-4 minutes
- Add milk to the carrots and pressure cook for 1 whistle.
- Once the pressure subsides, open the cooker and cook on high flame stirring continuously until all the milk evaporates.
- Once the milk dries up, add sugar and continue to cook on medium flame until the mixture is thick.
- Add a tbsp of ghee and cook for a further 3-4 minutes stirring continuously until the mixture thickens.
- Add cashew nuts, raisins, cardamom powder, mix well and cook for another 2-3 seconds.
- Serve this delicious gajar ka halwa hot or warm. I did the whole process in my small pressure cooker.
- Serve hot.